- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition with Tools - is the core version of Express Edition to support development include SQL Server 2008 R2 Database Engine and SQL Server Management Studio Express;
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition with Advanced Services - Built on SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Management Tools , but also includes the Full-Text Search and Reporting Services;
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express - includes only the SQL Server Database Engine and is used for deployments and redistribution ISV (Independent Software Vendor.
If you need to create a platform for reporting you may use the SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition with Advanced Tools.
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services. (FREE)
- SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0. (FREE)
The SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Builder 3.0 is a free tool available on the Internet for download from Microsoft download site, has an Office-like environment, it's very easy to use and allows the creation of reports Reports that can be stored locally or may be published in the Report Server, The Reports then could be accessed via the Web through the Report Manager.
Note: The SQL Server 2008 R2 express edition database is limited regarding the size, the Database size may grow up to 10Gb.
This kind of platform is very good for proofs of concept...